Thursday, May 01, 2008

When Doing Laudry, Do Laundry

I'm trying to be zen about things and just sort of enjoy the massive pile up of laundry in my life. And its working. If I weren't such an incompetent luddite I'd put up a picture of the towering piles of laundry I've done today because I do it by color so its stacked right now in piles of blue, green, pink, red, white, black, yellow and purple. I fold, and sniff the soap, and remember that one day I won't be doing their teeny tiny butterfly undies and I'm sure I'll miss it.

But actually, what really got me going, was this wonderful story from Jude at First Draft:



To borrow a phrase: How about that?

Okay, so this bit isn't earth-shatteringly important, it doesn't deal with the problems facing our country and the world, and you could easily dismiss it as fluff. But I dare you to read the following article and not feel a little hopeful about humanity. Go on. I dare you.

PORTLAND, Ore. - With two runners on base and a strike against her, Sara Tucholsky of Western Oregon University uncorked her best swing and did something she had never done, in high school or college. Her first home run cleared the center-field fence.

But it appeared to be the shortest of dreams come true when she missed first base, started back to tag it and collapsed with a knee injury.

She crawled back to first but could do no more. The first-base coach said she would be called out if her teammates tried to help her. Or, the umpire said, a pinch runner could be called in, and the homer would count as a single.

Then, members of the Central Washington University softball team stunned spectators by carrying Tucholsky around the bases Saturday so the three-run homer would count — an act that contributed to their own elimination from the playoffs.



Click the link and read it.