Monday, December 19, 2005

Season's Greetings from the Gulf of Alaska

Wild storm yesterday--high winds, periodic downpours, lightning (we hardly ever get lightning here). Around 1:00 I started out for downtown (shopping), but the line was down on the 5 Fulton and the lights were out at Park Presidio, so I went home and had a bloody mary instead. Then at about 3:00 the power went out for a couple of hours.

Ever wonder what people did for entertainment before electricity? I sat by the window and read until the light was mostly gone, then collected and lit all the candles I could find and started cooking (the world's simplest) dinner. The lights came back on, and we ate at around 5:30. The whole thing was very disorienting; it felt like it was much later than it really was, and if the power had stayed off I'd have gone to bed at 7:00.

[That's all, folks]