Thursday, October 20, 2005

Ask Me About Sleep

Back in the '80s, when I was starting businesses the way Borges wrote novels, I came up with a weight-loss scheme I called Sleepercize®. The science behind it was impeccable: while you sleep, you are a) burning calories and b) not eating. All you'd have to do is work yourself up to 15 or 16 hours of sleep a day (with the help of the sleep exercises in the book and video) and the pounds would melt effortlessly away. I had it all planned out: franchised Sleepercize® centers, a branded line of scientifically-designed Sleepercize® sleep equipment (pillows, pajamas, bedding, etc.), sleep-inducing Sleepercize® 'diet supplements', promotional Sleepercize® bumperstickers ("I'd rather be asleep"; "Honk if you're asleep").

Now it appears I was ahead of my time:

Getting a good night's rest could help you lose weight....
[Researchers] studied 323 men and 417 women in Canada's Quebec province. Those who reported sleeping seven to eight hours per night were leaner than those who noted five or six hours of nightly sleep.
What might have been...oh, well. I guess I'll just go reread Theme of the Traitor and the Hero.