Saturday, March 11, 2006

God to Milosevic: Drop Dead

The world's foremost argument for the death penalty was found dead in his cell.

My (then) wife and I spent three weeks in Yugoslavia in 1988, when things were just starting to simmer. We spent a few days in Dubrovnik, an extraordinary historical and cultural treasure, which the Serbs shelled in 1991. We spent several days in Sarajevo, a city I could barely recognize three years later when I watched the TV news. I think about dozens of strangers who were kind and helpful and friendly to us, and I wonder how many of them were killed in Milosevic's war.

And now Milosevic is dead. I can understand why Stipe Mjesic (whose own hands are hardly clean) would regret that Milosevic died before justice could be carried out. I say dead is dead, and I say good riddance.

[That's all, folks]