Friday, May 26, 2006

Friday Non-Random 10: Top Conservative Rock Anthems

The National Review has released its list of 50 Top Right-Wing Rock Songs. It's a pretty good list, on the whole--they have such stalwart conservatives as CCR (Who'll Stop the Rain), The Beatles (Revolution), The Pretenders (My City Was Gone), and the Clash (Rock the Casbah)--but they leave out some obvious choices. So here's my list of the top 10 conservative rock anthems:

  • Crosby, Stills & Nash - Ohio: A great song about a great heartland state (that, by the way, voted twice for George W. Bush). At least I think that's what it's about.

  • The Blasters - Boomtown: I'm not that familiar with the lyrics, but I think it's all about the prosperity that Reaganomics brought us.

  • X - 4th of July: What could be more patriotic? Actually, I haven't listened to the lyrics of any of these. That's the kind of detail and nuance that's best left to the liberals.

  • John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War Is Over): It isn't Season's Greetings (War Is Over), is it? I don't think so. In your face, secular humanists!

  • Woody Guthrie - This Land Is Your Land: "This land is your land, this land is my land..." Acid-rock pioneer Woody Guthrie's tribute to the great American principle of individual ownership.

  • Gang of 4 - To Hell With Poverty: I couldn't have said it better myself.

  • X-Ray Spex - Oh Bondage Up Yours!: Condemns sexual perversion and thus implicitly affirms traditional values.

  • The Smiths - Every Day Is Like Sunday: All about maintaining religious devotion and dedication throughout one's life, not just on Sundays.

  • Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska: The Chief pays tribute to another great (reliably Republican) heartland state.

  • Jane Wiedlin - I Don't Wear Fur: Here's a song I never would have expected: an ode to Pat Nixon's respectable Republican cloth coat. It's good to see these young kids have a sense of history.
All of you good conservatives, feel free to post your own choices in comments.

[That's all, folks]