Friday, May 19, 2006

Friday Semi-Random Ten: Cover Versions

Inspired by this thread of Amanda's, this week I skipped over everything that wasn't a cover version. Here we go...

Camper Van Beethoven - Pictures of Matchstick Men [I love this version; I'll take it over the Status Quo.]
Laurindo Almeida & the Bossa Nova All Stars - Misirlou [Must be heard to be believed--Misirlou done lounge-style. Still...Dick Dale.]
Wanda Jackson - Brown Eyed Handsome Man [I like Chuck Berry, but this version is awesome.]
Agent Orange - Misirlou [Pretty good, but not as great as their cover of Pipeline. I'll take Dick Dale]
Butthole Surfers - Hurdy Gurdy Man [Fun to listen to, but it's a tall order trying to out-weird the original. I'll take Donovan.]
Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World [Fairly straightforward; I like it a lot, but if there's not that much of a difference I'll take Bowie.]
Malcolm McClaren - Carmen [This one is indescribably tacky, quintessential '80s kitsch. That said, I don't really care for opera; given the choice, I'd probably listen to this one over a straight version.]
The Ventures - Hawaii 5-0 [Sort of a cheat, because this has become the definitive version of the tune; I doubt anyone remembers the TV version. Ventures, of course.]
Rubin Mitchell - Mas Que Nada [I don't recall what the Sergio Mendes version sounds like, but I don't think it's very different. I'll take this one by default.]
Siouxsie & the Banshees - This Wheel's on Fire [I always felt like I was supposed to like The Band. I'll take Siouxsie.]

Bonus track:
Dick Dale - Riders in the Sky [Dick Dale's ears must have been burning. The Vaughn Monroe version is great, but I think this barely edges it out. And for a real treat, check out Dale's cover of Hava Nagila.]

And the cover versions win, 7-4. Feel free to post your own random ten, or tell us about your favorite cover versions, in comments.

[That's all, folks]