Monday, September 04, 2006

Random Flickr-Blogging: IMG_6074

[Random Flickr-blogging explained. See also fine contributions from SAP, Mike, Karen M, Debra, Nobody in Particular, Ben Varkentine, Minstrel Boy, Jurassic Pork, Maurinsky, Nashtbrutishnshort, and Patrick Johanneson.]


Uploaded on April 4, 2006
by
Eliot

Are you ever curious about what other people keep in their fridges? I am. Are you ever tempted to share the contents of your own with the world? I'm not. I suppose that just means I'm more voyeur than exhibitionist.

This photo is part of a set called 'A Day in the Life of Eliot'. Flickr has lots of this sort of thing. The economics of digital imagery and online photo-sharing services combine to allow people to share the most mundane details of their lives with total strangers. Most of it is, in practice, terribly dull. And yet fascinating. And yet terribly dull. And yet...yeah, pretty dull.

I find this the most interesting image in the set...but that's because, as I said, I'm curious about what other people eat. There's nothing too horrifying in this particular fridge. I'm strictly a butter kind of guy, so naturally I look down on the Shedd's Spread. I tend to be wary of those weird rice-based drinks (then again: horchata; so who knows?). I can't figure out what that box of food is--something or other 'steaks'--but its use-by date is more than a month before this picture was taken, which is a little embarrassing. (Then again, there are things in our fridge that are probably out of date by several years...but why am I telling you? This is about Eliot's fridge, not ours.)

Anyway, there's some decent stuff in there. It looks like Eliot at least does some cooking (leftovers in the pan, in a ziploc, and in green plastic wrap); there's what I think is buttermilk powder, which suggests that he might even do some baking. He seems to be a reasonably healthy eater (lettuce, juice, lowfat yogurt) but doesn't go overboard (various sodas, wine, hard cider). I can't really tell anything about what kinds of food he likes; it's all pretty neutral.

Below the fold is a list of all of the items I've been able to identify (looking at the image in its original size). If anyone can identify anything else (or correct my misidentification of something), please let me know in comments.

Shedd's Spread
Daisy sour cream
Athenos feta
Stonyfield Farm organic lowfat yogurt (3 containers)
IBC cream soda (3 bottles)
Buttermilk powder (I think)
Ace hard cider (3 bottles)
Yellowtail--some white varietal, I think
7-Up (?), 3 cans
Coca-Cola, 2 cans
Bag of organic pre-washed lettuce
Apples (3)
Cheddar cheese
Rice Dream vanilla-flavored drink
Milk (?)

[That's all, folks]