Monday, November 06, 2006

Dirty Tricks

So last night I was doing my MoveOn calls. You get a script, and you say the name of the Democratic candidate you're supporting. It's all done on-screen; you click a button with the response info, and the next phone number pops up with the script and the buttons. It always tells you what race you're calling about, and I always look up the candidate before calling, because sometimes the voters I reach have questions about him or her.

So I'm calling Minnesota 1st, where Iraq vet Tim Walz is running against Gil Gutnecht. I place a call, and the script says, "We're supporting Tim Walz, the Democratic candidate for..." I place another call, the script says "We're supporting Tim Walz, the Democratic candidate for..." I place a third call, the script says "We're supporting Gil Gutnecht, the Democratic candidate for.." What?

I check the web. Yes, Gutnecht is the Republican. Yes, my script says he's a Democrat. No, the district I'm calling hasn't changed.

I quick email MoveOn and tell them they've been hacked.

I place three calls for Walz while my screen says Gutnecht, and then my screen switches back to Walz.

Fucking sons of bitches. That's all I have to say.

(Cross-post for change)

[That's all, folks]