Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Bleg: What to Read in 2007?

I suck at New Year's resolutions. That is, I suck at making them. Sometimes I don't figure out what my resolution should be until halfway through the year. The only times I've successfully made New Year's resolutions on or around, y'know, New Year's, they've been about books. That's how I finally got through Remembrance of Things Past (after 3 or 4 earlier attempts) and Don Quixote (which I hadn't even tried).

So I'm looking for suggestions for a New Year's resolution book--something big and daunting, something I really should have read by now, something that's ultimately rewarding. Somebody or other suggested Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, so that's a contender, but I'm looking for other suggestions. (Obviously I'm not ruling out non-fiction, but I do believe in the inherent superiority of fiction.) So...anybody have any good ideas?

[That's all, folks]