Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Arts Meme

My longtime friend Dan Wolf has tagged me with a cool meme, cool meaning it actually required a fair amount of thought to answer. Questions and answers are below:

  1. Name a book that you want to share so much that you keep giving away
    copies
    : One Hundred Years of Solitude

  2. Name a piece of music that changed the way you listen to music: We were on a night bus from Dubrovnik to Sarajevo drifting in and out of sleep, and the bus driver was playing some kind of Middle Eastern/Balkan sounding sort of thing. And I don't know the name of it, or who the artist was, or if it was different artists, different tapes, or just the same tape playing over and over all night long. But it was beautiful and exotic and it was something I had never heard before and knew I probably wouldn't hear again, and it struck me that this is the way music is supposed to be.

  3. Name a film you can watch again and again without fatigue: I could go for the really obvious and say Citizen Kane, or I could go for the really obvious (for entirely different reasons) and say Repo Man, but I think instead I'll go for The Lady Eve, as perfect a slice of screwball as ever was committed to film.

  4. Name a performer for whom you suspend of all disbelief: Cary Grant.

  5. Name a work of art you'd like to live with: Bosch, The Garden of Earthly Delights

  6. Name a work of fiction which has penetrated your real life: The first time I tried to read The Magic Mountain, I was also working a job where I had to read the medical records of asbestos plaintiffs. So I'm reading about people suffering from asbestosis and tuberculosis, and naturally I started to develop symptoms: in particular, a deep, painful, ugly-sounding cough. I lost the book--that is, I accidentally left it somewhere, 'accidentally' in the there-are-no-accidents sense of the word.

  7. Name a punch line that always makes you laugh: "That'll put marzipan in your pie plate bingo!"
I am instructed to tag three other poor souls, so Kvatch, George, and Maurinsky, you're it.

Update: Maurinsky, George, and Kvatch have responded.

[That's all, folks]