Monday, February 19, 2007

Monday Movie Review: Best Picture Roundup

In honor of next Sunday's Oscar broadcast, here are my mini-reviews for the Best Picture nominees.

Babel (original review) 10/10
Objectively, this is probably the best of the five films, although not my favorite. It is a technical masterpiece, bringing together the disparate threads in a way that is intelligent and respectful of the audience (some of these post-Pulp Fiction interconnected story movies are just obnoxious, like they're messing with your head for fun). The local and particular feeling created for four different countries is quite impressive. The final shot is one of my favorite film shots of the year.

The Departed (original review) 10/10
The most emotionally intense of the nominees, and my personal favorite to win. I originally rated this 9/10, because it does go on a bit too long and the ending is a bit out of control. But it's the one that stays with me and the one I care most about. That counts a lot. And it's fucking brilliant.

Little Miss Sunshine (original review) 10/10
If I rated movies with more objectivity and less emotion, this would get a nine. But I don't and it doesn't. Definitely the most flawed of the nominees, it's also the only comedy, and silly plot holes get more elbow room in silly movies. I persist in loving Paul Dano beyond all words (teehe).

The Queen
10/10
As with The Departed and Little Miss Sunshine, I'm kinda wavering between a 9 and a 10. It's a somewhat cool and distant movie, but that's on purpose, because we're talking royal family here, a somewhat cool and distant group of people. An emotional maelstrom would have been wrong. The delicacy of Mirren's performance, and the outrageousness of James Cromwell's, are the standouts for me.

Letters from Iwo Jima 10/10
Another technically perfect movie, what strikes me most about Letters from Iwo Jima is that every time you think it's making a statement, it backs away and seems to make a different one. The Japanese are sympathetic. The Japanese are sadistic. War is dishonorable. War is honorable. Americans commit atrocities. Americans are extraordinarily compassionate. The only real statement, in the end, is that these were humans in this big battle, and the size of it, the history of it, the patriotism of it, mattered less in the end than the human individuals who cared about wives and children and going home.

(A babeling cross-post by the queen that has departed from the sunshiney shores of Iwo Jima.)