Friday, March 07, 2008

"If"

So McCain has finally disavowed Hagee's anti-Catholic remarks...sort of:

"I repudiate any comments that are made, including Pastor Hagee's, if they are anti-Catholic or offensive to Catholics."
If. Does that sound familiar? How many times have you heard something like "I'm sorry if I offended you"? Which, at its worst, is really a way to say "you're an idiot for taking offense". And also: "hey, I'm the victim here!"

No, that's not always what it means...but it is sometimes, and it's clearly how McCain means it:
"[Pelosi] made the attack. I am responding by saying that I am against discrimination and anti-Semitism, anti-Catholic, anything racial, and I have proved that on the campaign trail," McCain said.
See, it's not about people legitimately taking offense at McCain's embrace of a religious bigot. It's all about the attack. "Hey, I'm the victim here!"

What a pathetic little weasel.