Friday, April 11, 2008

Can't think of a title, but is it any wonder?

Remember, choosing to care about Tibet--or, hell, Iraq, is a sign that liberals are foolish and ill informed. But choosing to read about Brittany Spears or Obama's terrorist bowling practices over reading dull stuff like Glenn Greenwald on John Yoo and torture memos *signed by the president of the United States* is a valid life style choice. See how that works?

And for the musical version, please don't miss "The Wreck of the Megan McCardle" by the sadlynauts. Truly one of the greats.

Media’s sacred trust is sadly not a sacred trust fund

Don’t I have obligations as a journalist beyond crass money grasping? Haven’t I been invested with a sacred trust that shouldn’t be held hostage to profit? Indeed I have: to report stories that are factually correct and more importantly, to the best of my knowledge and ability, fundamentally true. But I don’t think that I have a duty to lose vast sums of money doing so–I already took quite a hefty paycut when I devoted my MBA to journalism. I gave, as they say, at the office.

The Atlantic Unbound,
Keened a querulous sound,
As a wave broke over the railin’.

So did everyone else who took their college degree into journalism, from editors on down. Nor do newspaper owners exactly mint money.

And everyone knew,
As McArdle did too,
That the best she could do, it was failin’.