Monday, May 19, 2008

All Starting To Seem Familiar, Somehow

This discussion reminded me of something, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Oh yes, I could: Here's the Austrian version of the Purity Ball:

He also confessed to having lured his daughter to the underground dungeon he secretly constructed in the cellar of his home in Amstetten and admitted that he designed and equipped the underground chamber solely for that purpose – claiming to have wanted to protect his daughter from “bad people”.

But he denied having abused Elisabeth sexually at the age of 11 – as she reportedly told police – claiming that he was not a man “that would molest children”.

“Ever since she entered puberty she did not adhere to rules anymore. She would spend whole nights in dingy bars, drinking alcohol and smoking. I only tried to pull her out of that misery," he said.

“I got her a job as a waitress but she would not go to work for days. She even escaped twice and hung out with bad people during this time and they were not good company for her. I would bring her back home each time but she would try to escape again.

“That is why I had to do something. I had to create a place where I could keep Elisabeth, by force if necessary, away from the outside world.”