Friday, May 16, 2008

Celebrating in San Francisco

C. W. Nevius has a lovely column about local reaction to the California Supreme Court decision. My favorite bit:

Karen Strauss and Ruth Borenstein were holding hands and waiting for the traffic light to change in front of the public library across from City Hall when we began to chat.

"Can I tell him what I told you when we left the house this morning?" Borenstein said. "I said, 'If we win this, you better f- marry me.' "

"Well, she'll have to ask more nicely than that," Strauss said.

More...
But then, at the end of the piece, comes the kicker:
I asked Borenstein whether she'd called her parents, who had wanted to attend their wedding.

"My father died about a year and a half ago," she said, her eyes filling with tears. "That's the problem with waiting."
Yeah. That's the problem, all right. The 'I'm not against it but we need to wait for the people to catch up' folks should never be allowed to forget it.