Thursday, May 15, 2008

Not entertaining it

I listen to CBS all-news radio when I wake up. Weather every ten minutes and annoying voices is exactly what I need before coffee. And it also ends up being my toe-dip into the mainstream media (which I otherwise avoid).

So Hillary Clinton was apparently interviewed by Katie Couric last night, and they talk about Clinton maybe dropping out of the race, and said she said absolutely not. They then play a clip of Clinton saying, "Well, I'm not entertaining it. It's just not even anything I'm entertaining right now."

I get in the shower. I do my hair. I come out of the bathroom, and now the radio is talking about Edwards's endorsement of Barack Obama. Someone asks Obama if he would consider Edwards as a running mate, and they quote his answer (something like "He'd be on anyone's short list"). Then they get back to the Couric/Clinton interview, and say they asked Clinton if she was considering running mates, and they say it's not on the table yet, and play a clip of her saying, "Well, I'm not entertaining it. It's just not even anything I'm entertaining right now."

The same clip.

The same clip in response to two different questions. Which is...now we know for a fact they're just making shit up. It was the most trust-destroying thing I've ever heard on the news, worse than an outright lie, it was so transparently, lazily deceptive. I nearly choked.

And it turns out that the quote was in response to neither question. What Clinton was actually responding to was whether she would consider being Obama's running mate should he win the nomination.

There's really...there's no excuse of any kind for that kind of crap.


(I'm not entertaining this cross-post.)