Monday, August 18, 2008

From Anathema to Anthemic -- A Short Catalog of Guilty Pleasures

[Because I was tagged by Tom with this meme]

Father, forgive me, for I have sinned...


Kenny Rodgers and the First Edition I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)

My nomination for first prize, as this may be the worst song ever recorded that I can't ever get enough of. "...Found my mind in a brown paper bag"..."tripped on a cloud and fell eight miles high; tore my mind on a jagged sky"..."had my foot on the gas as I left the road and blew out my mind..." Future fried-chicken magnate Kenny Rodgers assesses the state of his mental health by filling a song with drug references, and ends up sounding like a guy who's never even had an aspirin. The challenge would be to find a more deliciously cheesy set of pseudo-psychedelic lyrics written in earnest (although Gentle Wandering Ways by the late-period Beau Brummels would be close behind, if it had ever seen the light of day).

I have a video of Kenny lip-synching this on Ed Sullivan in a Nehru jacket, but it may not be uploadable to YouTube for copyright reasons. This video is from the Smothers Brothers TV show, and at least has some cheesy TV special effects.

READ MORE...