Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lower the Drinking Age?

Sounds reasonable to me.

Not everyone agrees, of course:

Mothers Against Drunk Driving says lowering the drinking age would lead to more fatal car crashes.
Hence my compromise measure: lower the drinking age to 18, and raise the driving age to 211. Remember: sober drivers kill more people than drunk pedestrians.

And while we're on the subject, that's a damn good question: why doesn't MADD do more transit advocacy?



1Yes, I understand that this would impose substantial hardship on a lot of teenagers (and, as a result, on their parents). Yes, I understand that lots of people live in places where they don't have any good transit options. That's unfortunate. I would suggest that those kids and parents unite to lobby for better transit and more transit-friendly development.