Friday, October 31, 2008

Friday Non-Random Arbitrary Number: Songs of Anxiety and Terror

There's a date that has become synonymous with terror and dread, when nightmares walk among us and horror rules the land. But that's next week; today, it's Halloween. In the spirit of the latter, I offer an arbitrary and idiosyncratic list of songs I find scary, spooky, creepy, disturbing, or otherwise appropriate to the season.

  1. Ramones - Garden of Serenity: I could have gone with Pet Sematary (which I used to sing to Max when he was a baby), but I think this one is more genuinely creepy.

  2. Roky Erickson & the Aliens - Night of the Vampire: hell I could make up the whole list just from this one album, but this probably my favorite of the bunch.

  3. Wax Tailor - The Way We Lived: an hallucinatory torch song from hell, sung by a madwoman or a confused ghost (or maybe both).

  4. Tom Waits - Earth Died Screaming: the feel-good song of 1993.

  5. Pine Box Boys - Hush: a psychobilly horror film in four minutes.

  6. Garmarna - Vengeance: I'm not sure what the song is about because the lyrics are in Swedish (although when you hear something like 'bruders blud' you know things aren't going well), but the music is terrifying.

  7. Portishead - All Mine: the official theme song of Deranged Obsession. "Tethered and tied, there's nowhere to hide from me"--yeah, well, let me get back to you on that, okay?

  8. Thin White Rope - Valley of the Bones: what could be more heartwarming than a good old-fashioned raise-the-object-of-my-affections-from-the-dead love story?

  9. Residents - Die in Terror: well, duh.


Post your own favorites in comments.