Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Alaska Gives the Finger to the Rule of Law

With 99% of the votes counted, convicted felon Ted Stevens (R-AK) appears to have won re-election to the US Senate. I wish I could say I'm surprised.

Del asks in a comment at my place if this means Palin v. Begich in a special election. Well, of course the Senate will have to boot Stevens first. Or he'll have to resign. Mitch McConnell was talking big last week about a forcible removal, but that was back when he was in a tight re-election fight. Now that he's pulled out a squeaker*, and no longer has to distance himself from the Republican party, he may change his tune.

If Stevens goes to the Big House, will he still try to hang on to his Senate seat? I almost think I'd prefer that to Sen. Palin.

****

* Yes, I do consider 53-47 to be a squeaker when you're the incumbent Minority Leader and your state went 58-41 for McCain.