Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Happy Bloomsday!

James Joyce on blogging:

--That reminds me, Mr Deasy said. You can do me a favour, Mr Dedalus, with some of your literary friends. I have a letter here for the press. Sit down a moment. I have just to copy the end.
     He went to the desk near the window, pulled in his chair twice and read off some words from the sheet on the drum of his typewriter.
--Sit down. Excuse me, he said over his shoulder, the dictates of common sense. Just a moment.
[…]
--Full stop, Mr Deasy bade his keys. But prompt ventilation of this allimportant question....
[…]
--Now then, Mr Deasy said, rising.
     He came to the table, pinning together his sheets. Stephen stood up.
--I have put the matter into a nutshell, Mr Deasy said. It’s about the foot and mouth disease. Just look through it. There can be no two opinions on the matter.

Ulysses 2:289
And so the anti-Semite Deasy raises himself on the cross of his own convictions.

You can see our two previous Bloomsday posts here.