Friday, July 07, 2006

Friday Random Ten

This is my first Random Ten using a weighted playlist that plays favorites more frequently than songs I don't like as much. Details below the fold, if anyone is curious.

The Essex - Cemetery Stomp
Boiled in Lead - Klezpolka
Joy Division - Twenty-Four Hours
Isaac Hayes - The Look of Love
Malcolm McClaren - About Her
New Order - Blue Monday
Link Wray - Jack the Ripper
Shriekback - Exquisite Corpse
Iggy Pop - Dum-Dum Boys
Nick Cave - Muddy Water

What I did was first give ratings to the songs I like okay but don't want to hear too often or have overplayed (one or two stars), and the songs I can stand to hear repeatedly (four or five stars). Then I created a series of smart playlists with the following criteria:

Weighted 1
My rating does not equal 1 star
or
Last played is at least 3 months ago

Weighted 2
My rating does not equal 2 stars
or
Last played is at least 1 month ago

Weighted 3
My rating does not equal not rated [all of the stuff in between]
or
Last played is at least 10 days ago

And one playlist to rule them all, one playlist to bind them:

Weighted
Playlist equals Weighted 1
and
Playlist equals Weighted 2
and
Playlist equals Weighted 3

This playlist guarantees that 1-star songs play no more often than every 3 months, 2-star songs once a month, etc.

[That's all, folks]