Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Greetings from Beautiful San Francisco

Golden Gate Bridge
Sometimes the year is half over before I realize what my New Year's resolutions were. I start with a vague intention of doing things better, of being better, and it can take months to figure out how exactly I'm trying to do that.

It didn't occur to me that I do this until today, while I was walking around Stow Lake, at which point I also realized that one of my resolutions this year must be not to be blasé about where I live. I've lived in my current home for 9 years (and the Bay Area for 30 years, as of yesterday), and it's very easy to wind up taking it all for granted.

A digital camera helps me keep this resolution. I carry it almost everywhere, which puts me in the habit of looking at things. This blog is also useful: it allows me to see my home through the eyes of people who aren't as used to it.

The jaded me would look at this picture and think it looks like another damn postcard. To the non-jaded me, it's a reminder that I have the extraordinary luck to live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

[That's all, folks]