Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Super Tuesday Results -- Alabama Edition

CNN.com has state-by-state results for Super Tuesday here. As of this morning, New Mexico is still too close to call on the Dem side.

Clinton: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Tennessee

Obama: Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri

Huckabee: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, West Virginia

McCain: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma

Romney: Alaska, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Utah

******

Barack Obama won big in Alabama last night; Mike Huckabee's margin wasn't as wide, but both primaries drew lots of voters. I thought it would be fun to look back at the last two primaries to see what happens to turnout when a state goes from also-ran (June primary) to relevant (Super Tuesday). Here's what I found:

Democratic Primary:

  • 2000: 278,527
  • 2004: 218,574
  • 2008: 539,743 (updated at 4:30 PM CST)
Republican Primary:
  • 2000: 203,079
  • 2004: 201,487
  • 2008: 563,822 (updated at 4:30 PM CST)
Wow! Numbers for 2000 and 2004 come from the Alabama Secretary of State's website. 2008 numbers come from CNN.com. The 2004 Republican primary was uncontested, of course, although there were 14,449 votes for Uncommitted.

I admit to being a bit surprised that Democratic voters didn't outstrip Republicans this time around, but there were no other statewide races on the ballot. Even in Republican stronghold Shelby County, poll workers were handing out Democratic ballots in larger numbers than expected. My very unscientific survey: I most definitely live in Republicanville. Yard signs haven't been big this year, but the few I've seen in my neighborhood are for Huckabee. I was voter #301 at my precinct at 8:30 AM yesterday. I was #17 on the L thru R Democratic sign-up sheet in use at the time, while only 14 Republicans were signed in. The fifty-something white guy who came behind me in line also asked for a Democratic ballot. Not statistically significant at all as I couldn't get a look at the breakdown on all the sign-in sheets, but it still gave me a good feeling.

Actually, the whole day gave me a good feeling. I was in a hurry when I cast my vote yesterday morning, rushing to get started with a packed schedule of meetings and kids' activities, but later in the afternoon I took some time to reflect. As I said below:

The historic nature of today's vote is just beginning to sink in. For the first time ever, a major party's nominee will -- not might -- be a woman or a person of color. That's chill bump territory.

Our children and grandchildren will study this landmark election in their history and political science classes. We're living it. That is so cool!