Friday, October 10, 2008

Really, I hardly Know Whether to Hug Him for Honesty or Smack Him for Dishonesty

Just caught this lovely, revealing, line in Brook's "Cancer on the Body Politic" interview (emphasis mine):

"And the other thing that does separate Obama from just a pure intellectual: he has tremendous powers of social perception. And this is why he's a politician, not an academic. A couple of years ago, I was writing columns attacking the Republican congress for spending too much money. And I throw in a few sentences attacking the Democrats to make myself feel better. And one morning I get an email from Obama saying, 'David, if you wanna attack us, fine, but you're only throwing in those sentences to make yourself feel better.' And it was a perfect description of what was going through my mind. And everybody who knows Obama all have these stories to tell about his capacity for social perception."